Tuesday, August 4, 2015

What is Identity and Why is it important?

As we walk this journey in Christ, we often face the challenge of finding our identity. Even in the world we struggled to find out who we are.
 Identity is how you and others perceive yourself; how you cognitively view yourself. 

Well how do we find our identity? Where do we start?
Here is an interesting point of view; I was attending the first night of my church’s Holy Convocation and Apostle Lloyd said something that had some truth behind it. He said “You don’t have an identity because you died (being born again) so that Christ could live in you!” He referenced the scripture Acts 17:28 "For in Him we live and move and have our being." 
This goes back to studying about Jesus and who he was. As believers we are supposed to become as much like Jesus as possible because we all have a purpose and an assignment from God to fulfill. Colossians 3:1-4 reads, "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." 

Knowing your identity or who you are in Christ allows you to find your purpose on earth. Just think about it. If a person can put out a fire, climb ladders and remove people from a burning building, but works in a bakery, then that person doesn’t know who he is and can never fulfill his true purpose. I know for me, when I was in my last relationship, I lost who I was in God.
I was so wrapped up in keeping my relationship alive that I forgot about who I was in God. I stopped praying and reading my word because nothing seemed to work. I was out of the will of God. It wasn’t until I hit rock bottom, for me, that I began to call on Jesus and said enough is enough. Jesus reminded me that I am a daughter of a King. I am the head and not the tail, I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I was made in the likeness of God. I had to get my identity back! So it’s always important to know who you are because it is so easy to be conformed of this world and be out of the will of God. And if you love God, you never want to be out of His will. 
Thank you for reading. 
I have said a special prayer for those who don’t have an identity in Christ. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment